Friday 17 February 2012

The Muppets

Do yourself a favour and go see The Muppets!
I caught this film late in to it's release and unfortunately the theatre was empty. I imagine seeing this movie in a full theatre would have been great fun. There was still much laughter to be had by me and the half a dozen attendees, however. Even on DVD, I dare anyone not to be charmed by this film.
This particular Muppet movie is the brain-child of four very passionate and talented individuals; Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller(creators of Forgetting Sarah Marshall) and James Bobin and Bret Mckenzie(creators of Flight of the Conchords). Their passion is evident in the respect they have for all things Muppetry, and their talent speaks for itself.
This movie is an interesting hybrid of old and new comedy. The aforementioned talent have become hugely popular with their own brand of comedy of late - and with The Muppets, they now have a secondary(and somewhat nostalgic) element to play with. It works to great effect and gives audiences of every age something to giggle about. The songs for example, are very Conchordsesque - full of word-play, and incredibly catchy to boot!
Despite the nostalgia of seeing The Muppets again, they prove once more how relevant they still are. I found myself captivated by their performances - still surprised by how simple, yet affecting these creations are.
This being a story about(amongst other things) two brothers, I found myself thinking of my own brother over-seas - who's always had a strange affection for anything more than(and including) a hand in a sock! No doubt he'll enjoy this immensely - 4/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment